Thursday, March 3, 2011

I just can't help it....

Hey folks. So I just have to talk, write about everything that is ME! While I can no longer do my Truth Is stuff, I can still entertain with funny stories about my kids & my experiences as a full time dad. Now I have said, numerous times, being a dad is the best thing to ever happen to me. I take pride in parenting the way a pro ball player takes pride in his sport or a REAL teacher takes pride in educating a child. I love everything about it. The good & the bad. There aren't too many bad moments as a parent. More scary than anything. I try my best to teach my boys to always stay alert, be aware of their surroundings. Be conscious of the people around them in case danger pops off. Some times it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I was blessed with 2 very aware boys, that usually try to be on their best behavior. So I'm bringing the FatherHOOD blogs back. Just stories from time to time about my life as a dad, my life with my 2 funny little guys. Hopefully you all can relate to these stories & even decide to share some of yours. I see so many mother blogs & so many mothers respond, but I wanna hear from the fellaz, the dads. I learn a lot from other dads out there & I am proud to represent a whole different generation of black fathers that love being a parent & everything that comes with it. So here it is.

So I know we all remember our 1st crushes. the 1st girl or guy we actually thought was cute out loud. I remember mine. I was a late bloomer, 5th grade. Her name was Rosa. I probably had 1 earlier than that but trying to think back 30 years ago is hard! So 5th grade it is. But Rosa was very cute to me. Average looking, nothing real special about her look, but she had this smile every morning that stuck in my head. I was always excited to go to school just to see her. But I was always too scared to say anything. That is a trait that stuck with me for my whole kid/teen life. I was always too scared to tell a girl I liked her & usually lost out on her. So that is something I try telling my kids. Don't be afraid to be you & to speak up if you want something/someone.

Now my kids are only 6 & 7, so this girl liking thing is still gross to them. Well Daevon, not Isaiah. Isaiah is already saying every girl he says hi too is girl! Like father like son I guess. Daevon is older. He's more the shy guy. He currently has a little girl that has a crush on him & I THINK the feeling is mutual. Seeing his face turn beet red & his eyes pop every time she says "hi Daevon" is heeeelarious! to say the least. I get to relive those feelings through him & his little brother. I clearly can barely remember when those feelings started with me, but seeing it now is cool.

Well all the mushy stuff aside, I guess somewhere I became the embarrassing old dad, cuz my son does not trust me around this girl. He wants my mouth SHUT at all times. I am not allowed to speak around her. If I do, I get a kick to the shin. Now I always thought of myself as the cool dad. All of their friends love when I am around & even call me the cool dad, but to Daevon, when it comes to girls, I am a dork & "EMBARRASSING!" I guess me sayin "AWWWWWWW" In my deep voice when ever the girl says "Hi Daevon" is not a cool thing. The girl just laughs. But I was told today, that I am no longer allowed to speak when his female friends are around. I have to become mute. That is hard for me. I am a very open person & can talk for days if you let me. So today as the girl sat right next to him & had the biggest grin on her face, my son looked at me & put his hand to his chin warning me that if I say anything I would be punched in the face. GRRR So tempting, no fun! Ok I let him win today, but tomorrow is Friday. I'm gonna just have to take the lumps cuz if she sits by him again, I am taking a bunch of pics, posting on FB & writing AWWWWWWWWWWWWW as the subject line! I just can't help it....


Until the next time

1 love
DJ

No comments:

Post a Comment