Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Panic Button!

Man this has been a crazy week. I have a lot of big changes going on in my life all at once. I've been doing a pretty good job this year of keeping my business to myself & only giving up info when necessary. I am usually an open book, but being so open usually gets me into trouble or drama. I am drama free right now & loving it. I've been keeping my self productively busy at work, school, home & in my personal life. Every day I make something happen. So I am patting myself on the back for a great start to the first quarter of 2011.

On with it! Here I go. So this week has been CRAZY! I had a paper & test due this week, the boys mom has been sick (she NEVER gets sick), I've been out of commission for a few days due to a pulled muscle in my lower back, my youngest busted his head open at school & had to be rushed to the emergency room & my oldest lost his DSI & the brand new game I JUST bought him last week!! GASP! Due to all of this I had to miss a day of work & both of my classes. I've been working on managing my frustrations with minor bumps especially the once that are concerning my children. I mean these are great boys! They make me proud every day! Shoot, just last week, I got their report cards & MAN what great reports. Both teachers gushed over how great both read (both are the top readers in their class!), both excel in math & both get along with all of the kids in class & follow directions. I don't have bad kids. I mean Isaiah can be a handful & Daevon can be sneaky but neither are what I consider bad. So the events of this week made it hard for me NOT to hit the panic button.

Lets start with Isaiah's busted coconut. Like I said, Isaiah can be a handful. That boy is all over the place. He is very hyper. What I like to call a "boy boy". He jumps all over the furniture, colors all outside the lines! plays too rough with his brother & makes a mess when he eats. I was the exact same way! So I can't get annoyed with him. Last week he wasn't listening to my sister & got punished. This week, he was playing carelessly & banged his little head against the jungle gym during recess. He said "the bottom of the jungle gym got smaller & he should have ducked lower". I said, Uh NO you are getting taller & need to pay attention to your surroundings. He looked so confused. In his mind, he is & will always be that small size. SMH, kids! Anyway, so I took him to the hospital & told him that we had to get his bloody head looked at so his brains stopped oozing out. He was so worried & asked "what happens if my brains keep coming out?. I told him he'd become a mindless zombie. He yelled "FIX IT DADDY!" HEEELARIOUS! So while the doctor took a look, she saw that the cut was large enough to require 1 staple. He closed his eyes tight, grabbed the nurses hand tight & prepared to cry once the staple pierced his scalp. The doctor looked at me worried because I opted not to get the numbing shots which would be 3 times more painful than the 1 staple. Isaiah calmly said "I'm ready to be brave". They stapled my baby's head & he just said "Ouch! That hurts when I make a frowny face". WHEW He took it like a G not 1 tear shed. I guess since I didn't hit the panic button he didn't panic & was able to absorb the painful staple a little better.

As we were leaving the hospital I was told that I may have to pay the doctor $550 for the emergency room visit. I have medical insurance but I was paying over $100 extra each month for my kids to be medically insured by my job, but their mom's insurance was free & she never needed my insurance for them, so I had them removed from mine to get just another $10 on my checks! (how does that work? I was paying nearly 200 bucks a month so me & my kids were covered only to get an additional $10 bucks after dropping them from my insurance...stupid government conspiracies man!) But I digress, :)I was 2 seconds from hitting the panic button but their mom called the hospital to make sure the visit was added to her insurance & we just had to pay the copay. WHEW! So I told Isaiah, that I would get him a nice surprise for being such a good boy!(as I am writing this, I was just called & told that my son got in trouble on the school bus for hitting one of his classmates. SIGH no new game & more punishment)It never ends.

Now onto Daevon. Daevon is usually the good one. The one we worry the least about because he usually does what he's supposed to. The kid makes mistakes, but I don't have to yell at him or discipline him too much because the kid goes out of his way to make me & his mom proud of him. He brings home an award a week. Perfect attendance, top reader, citizenship, helpfulness, top test scores, you name it, he brings it home. The problem is, the boy is so good, he kinda has this idea in his head that certain rules don't apply to him. Like cleaning his room, doing little things around the house without asking (turning the channel to what he wants to watch while me or his brother is watching something else)& telling his little brother what to do. He is also pretty careless with his stuff. I blame that on myself because every toy or game that he's lost or broken I've replaced right away. He has no concept of a dollar because to him, he asks for it, he gets it. So every day, they ask to bring their Nintendo DSI's to their grandmother's house because they get bored waiting for me or their mom to pick them up. On nights where I know one of us will be late I let them take them. I usually stuff it down in their bags where no one can see it. Well yesterday, the genius that I am, didn't take the time to tuck it away safely in his bag. I just tossed it in the bag on top of his lunch box. So my son accidentally forgot to close his bag & his game was some how lost. It either fell out or was stolen. Either way it go bye bye! Now he expects me to buy him another one. Keep in mind this is the 3rd DSI he's had in only 7 years of being on earth, 3 of which he was too young to even play a DSI. So buying him a 4th is out of the question. But I maintained composure. Yes I am annoyed because this is not just some $2 action figure. This is a $150 toy & the 3rd 1! Do the mamath...go ahead I'll wait...yea 450 smackarooos son! That's not even counting the brand new Pokemon game I bought him for $40! Woosah! Breath David....do not hit the panic button son! Ok I'm good. I fought every urge to lecture him about keeping track of his possessions, but this one was my fault. I should have made sure I tucked it a way. Oh well live & learn.

I love both of my boys to death, but they are making me lose my hair at a rapid rate. So I will keep working on my patience with them. They make mistakes so I just need to just save that panic button for the big stuff. WOOOSAH!

Peace folks
DJ

No comments:

Post a Comment